Muckross House & Killarney Lakes
Posted by ParkSouth2020 on | Featured
The Muckross estate dates back to the 17th Century when the first member of the Herbert family, who were originally from Wales, came to settle in Killarney. The present day Muckross House was built for Henry Arthur Herbert and his family. It was completed in 1843. It is situated close to the eastern shore of Muckross Lake, taking full advantage of the magnificent views which can be enjoyed from this location. Most of the house has been preserved as a late 19th century mansion, with furniture and artefacts from that period. Muckross Gardens adjoin Muckross House and are mainly informal in style. They date back to the mid-19th century when extensive landscaping was carried out by the Herbert family in preparation for the visit of Britain’s Queen Victoria in 1861. Throughout their tenure at Muckross, the Herbert’s played a very active role in social and political life and in the development and improvement of the Muckross Estate.