Cahir Castle

Cahir Castle Tipperary County Ireland
Cahir Castle (Irish: Caisle├ín na Cathrach), one of the largest ancient castles in Ireland, was built in County Tipperary in 1142 by Conor O’Brien, Prince of Thomond, on an island in the river Suir. Standing tall, the castle appears to grow out of the rock, now situated in the town centre, Cahir castle is well preserved and has a guided tour and audiovisual show in multiple languages. The castle tour will take you down spiral staircases as well as into the deep dark prison dungeons. It is one of the best preserved standing castles of Ireland. In 1375, the castle was granted to James Butler, newly-created Baron of Cahir, for his loyalty to Edward III. The Butlers of Cahir sided with the Irish in the Elizabethan wars, and in 1599 the castle was captured after a three day siege by the army of the Earl of Essex and was for a year put under the charge of Sir Charles Blount. VISIT HERE